Created: Wednesday, 23 March 2016
a. Duly filled Application (Click here for Form O)
b. Current passport
d. Marriage Certificate. (Please note that marriage certificates which issued by a State should be authenticated by the Authentication office of the Department of State in the USA)
e. If the applicant is permanent resident, certified copy of permanent resident card.
THE PRESCRIBED FEE:
*If the return of the passport is desired by mail, applicants may choose one of the following options and make payment together with the application fees as follows,
Federal Express – $ 20.00
US Postal Express mail – $ 18.00
International mailing fee – $ 35.00 ( for applicants from Aruba / Mexico )
Fees may be paid by cash (only if application is hand delivered). The money orders or certified checks should be made in favor of ” Permanent Mission of Sri Lanka”
Please note that personal checks will not be accepted.
TIME PERIOD - Two weeks
* This Embassy is not responsible for any document lost in the post
* Submission of forged documents and making false declarations relating to citizenship is a punishable offence. Fees will not be refunded in these circumstances.
* Incomplete applications will be returned and consular fees will not be refunded.
* According to the Sri Lankan Immigrations Regulations, Sri Lankan Citizens who have applied and gained refugee status or asylum in the USA are not entitled to a Sri Lankan passport and also to renew validity of their existing passports. However, temporary travel documents will be issued to the following categories of Sri Lankans for the sole purpose of returning to Sri Lanka.
* Those who have applied for refugee or asylum status and awaiting decision of the US government.
* Those who have applied for refugee or asylum status but have subsequently withdrawn their applications.
* Those who have given up their refugee or asylum status and decided to return to Sri Lanka.
* Those whose applications for asylum or refugee status have been rejected by the US government in which such status has been sought.