Created: Thursday, 24 March 2016
If your passport is lost or stolen, please make complaint to your local police station and obtain a police report.
a. A letter requesting another passport
c. Three Photographs (Colour, 3.5 cm x 4.5 cm or 2” x 2” )
c. Copy of lost passport
d. Original Birth Certificate
e. Police report
f. Dual Citizenship Certificate and a copy of Foreign Passport (If the applicant is a dual citizenship holder)
g. Academic/professional certificates and letter of appointment (If the profession is to be included)
i. Marriage certificate (if the applicant is married and wishes to have spouse’s surname entered in the passport)
k. Certified photocopy of valid permanent resident card (If the applicant is a permanent resident in the USA).
THE PRESCRIBED FEE:
a. If the passport number or a copy of the data page is submitted – $ 350.00
b. If the passport number or a copy of the data page is not submitted- $ 450.00
* If the return of the passport is desired by mail, applicants may choose one of the following options and make payment together with the application fees as follows,
Federal Express – $ 20.00
US Postal Express mail – $ 18.00
International mailing fee – $ 35.00 ( If the applicant from Aruba)
Fees may be paid by cash (only if application is hand delivered). The money orders or certified cheques should be made in favor of ” Permanent Mission of Sri Lanka”
Please note that personal checks will not be accepted.
PROCESSING TIME - 08 to 10 weeks
Applications received at the Embassy from Monday through Wednesday are processed and forwarded to the controller, Immigration & Emigration in Colombo every Friday by Diplomatic bag. Applications received after Wednesday will be dispatched the following week.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR FILING APPLICATIONS
1. Application should be filled preferably in BLOCK letters
2. Three photographs should be furnished as specified in the application. Please ensure that the signatures are confined to the cages provided immediately below the photographs.
3. The photographs, signature and declaration of the applicant can be attested by a Notary, Medical Practitioner, Solicitor, Chief incumbent of Sri Lankan temple, Professor of University or a person of similar status living in the USA.
4. The photograph should be clear, good quality, fresh (current picture), without spectacles and with open ears.
5. The application and original documents should be submitted along with photocopies.
* This Embassy is not responsible for any document lost in the post
* Submission of forged documents and making false declarations relating to citizenship is a punishable offence. Fees will not be refunded in these circumstances.
* Incomplete applications will be returned and consular fees will not be refunded.
* According to the Sri Lankan Immigrations Regulations, Sri Lankan Citizens who have applied and gained refugee status or asylum in the USA are not entitled to a Sri Lankan passport and also to renew validity of their existing passports. However, temporary travel documents will be issued to the following categories of Sri Lankans for the sole purpose of returning to Sri Lanka.
* Those who have applied for refugee or asylum status and awaiting decision of the US government.
* Those who have applied for refugee or asylum status but have subsequently withdrawn their applications.
* Those who have given up their refugee or asylum status and decided to return to Sri Lanka.
* Those whose applications for asylum or refugee status have been rejected by the US government in which such status has been sought.
HOW TO SUBMIT THE APPLICATION
You can submit the application to the consular division of the Embassy by post or by hand. The Consular Division is open from Monday to Friday (9am to 5pm). The physical and mailing address is as follows,
The Permanent Mission of Sri Lanka to the United Nations
820, Second Avenue, 2nd Floor
New York, NY 10017